Best Interests Assessor – Ref. 5477
Are you a qualified Social Worker, Occupational Therapist, Nurse or chartered Psychologist? Would you like to develop your skills and applied knowledge of the Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty?
If the answer is yes, then Devon County Council Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Service have Best Interests Assessor (BIA) posts available which would offer an exciting career development opportunity for either a qualified BIA or a suitably qualified professional with 2 years post qualified experience who would like to undertake the specialist BIA training.
Best Interests Assessors are an integral part of the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and have a range of duties that fall to them under the statute. They are responsible for undertaking a number of the assessments required to enable a deprivation to be authorised and have a key role in ensuring that people’s human rights are upheld, and that they are represented and supported to challenge their Deprivation in the Court of Protection.
Once qualified BIA’s working for Devon County Council DoLS Service are expected to:
* Have an extensive knowledge of the application of the Mental Capacity Act and the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards in practice.
* Be able to formally record assessments to a high professional standard likely to withstand legal scrutiny, demonstrating the ability to analyse and evaluate complex information.
What we can offer to you:
- We are committed to your continuous professional development, doing all we can to help you to get the most from your career. You will receive excellent support and supervision, with regular opportunities to discuss and reflect on your practice, both with your line manager and peers.
- We offer 26 days annual leave, plus Bank Holidays, rising incrementally to 31 days after 5 years’ service.
- Flexible working opportunities are available, these include part-time hours, flexitime, compressed working hours and homeworking (this is subject to the needs of the role – please discuss at further at interview)
- Offer an opportunity to enter a generous Local Government Pension Scheme.
- As a place to live and work, Devon is hard to beat with top-performing schools, universities, vibrant cities, pretty villages and some of the most scenic coast and countryside in the UK. Living and working in Devon as a Best Interests Assessor has never been more attractive.
- If you are looking to make the move to Devon, subject to qualifying conditions, relocation support of up to £10,000, may be available.
- Visa sponsorship may also be offered as part of the relocation support package, terms and conditions apply.
Training will be provided for the right candidate. This is an exciting opportunity to join the service and be at the forefront of rights-based practice for people who are deprived of their liberty.
Flexible working arrangements and part time hours may be considered.
For further information or an informal discussion about this role please contact Jen Brooks, Team Manager on 07790 342037 or Danielle Hutchings, Team Manager on 07966 306442
Internal Applicants, please note: If you are an existing DCC employee, please use your iTrent Employee Self Service (ESS) details to log in and apply.
Does the job role include personal care?: No
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working -The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- This role requires a DBS disclosure.