Residential Services Manager
• To promote a community ethos where everyone has a part to play, and has opportunities to make choices and take responsibility
• To involve people is at the heart of everything we do
• To understand, value and meet people’s needs
• To treat people with kindness, compassion and dignity
• To promote, respect and celebrate people’s diversity and individuality
• To learn from people to help us all adapt and continually improve and grow
The Residential Services Manager (RSM) is responsible for the operations and development of one or more houses on the Hapstead Village site. They are accountable for ensuring that all aspects in the day-to-day running of their allocated houses, ensuring compliance with CQC standards and regulations are met. The RSM will promote a person-centred environment which meets the wellbeing and development needs of the people we support. The RSM will also provide support and leadership to staff and volunteers in addition to being an active member of the management team and Camphill Devon Community.
· To manage and lead the residential service ensuring compliance, safety and a quality living environment
· To support adults with learning disabilities in all aspects of their home life and involvement in the activities they choose
· Enable people to identify and influence their support needs and progress their chosen aims and goals
· To support and actively work within our values in all aspects of your role
· To oversee and structure daily activities and provide support and guidance to the team
· To provide ‘hands on’ support where necessary with all aspects of daily living, social and household activities
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
1. To be responsible for the safety and welfare of those living and working in the houses
2. To co-ordinate the daily living arrangements and to ensure that all aspects of the care/support provided in the houses comply with CQC’s Key Lines of Enquiry (KLOEs), and to Health and Safety requirements
3. To be responsible for the management of house budgets and finances and, as appropriate, to assist the people in handling of their money
4. To promote people’s involvement in decision-making and to ensure that individuals’ needs are met within a person-centred environment
5. To support people to enable them to participate in work, education and leisure facilities both at Hapstead and in the wider community
6. To carry out activities to maximise occupancy and appropriate fee levels
7. To support, coach, train, supervise and appraise team members, promoting their personal and professional development
8. To identify and ensure that training needs of staff and volunteers are met in line with the Care Certificate and Camphill Devon’s requirements
9. To contribute to the development of and work within all Camphill Devon Community policies and procedures
10. To participate in the Responsible Person sleep-in rota, and undertake sleep-in duties within the house as required
11. To provide out of hours support as necessary, coordinate and participate in the ‘on call’ rota
1. Safety, Welfare and Quality of Life
1.1 Ensure that people’s support documents (i.e. Support Plans, Risk Assessments, Health Action Plans, etc.) are individualised, accurately reflect their wants needs, and are reviewed within the agreed cycle, and as required
1.2 Engage in annual reviews with individuals and other key parties (funding authorities, families, etc.) to ensure appropriate support levels are in place and funded, contract compliance, and expectations are being met.
1.3 Ensure that all staff and volunteers uphold the dignity of others so that all are enabled to play an active part in the day-to-day tasks and decision-making
1.4 Ensure that matters of health and safety are accorded the highest priority and that all requirements in terms of the law and Camphill Devon Community’s policies are met within the home
1.5 Ensure that people are encouraged and enabled to express their opinions and wishes about all aspects of their lives, and help them take responsibility for such
1.6 Encourage active relationships with others in the wider community
1.7 Carry out agreed Quality Audit and Assurance activities to ensure quality standards are maintained and remedial action is taken where necessary.
1.8 Co-ordinate holidays and accompany as necessary
1.9 Co-ordinate the maintenance of the fabric of the house to the highest possible standard, reporting any required works to the Estates team and monitoring completion of works
2. Support and Supervision
2.1 Support and formally supervise the staff and volunteers in your team
2.2 Meet with the Operations Development Manager (ODM) on an individual basis to participate in supervision and appraisal to support service and professional development
2.3 Meet with the ODM, Chief Executive and Management Team on a regular basis to contribute to the wider management functions within Camphill Devon Community
3. Service Management and Development
3.1 Ensure that people live in settings which promote independence, enable them to work towards their identified goals, and supports the maintenance and development of skills.
3.2 Ensure people, as far as they are able:
· are involved in menu planning, making choices and preparation of food which is wholesome and nutritious, and where possible ‘home grown’
· are supported with personal hygiene and dressing in privacy and in a manner that upholds personal dignity
· are assisted with the purchasing of personal shopping and services (e.g. hairdressing)
· have opportunities and choice of recreational, cultural and spiritual activities available at Hapstead and in the wider community
· are enabled to share in the household tasks and other meaningful work of Camphill Devon
3.3 Ensure there is a robust and published rota system in place which provides sufficient staff in the household at all times to meet peoples’ needs and the standards agreed by Camphill Devon Community, informing the ODM or Chief Executive of any concerns in maintaining staffing levels, and what actions are being taken
3.4 Ensure that the procedures agreed for evidencing compliance with the CQC’s Key Lines of Enquiry (KLOEs) and other relevant legislation are known and adhered to within the house
3.5 Engage in agreed marketing activities (both internal and external) to maximise occupancy, and support assessment and transition activities as appropriate
3.6 Contribute to working groups, committees and forums and adopt specific roles and responsibilities as appropriate
3.7 Organise and record fire drills and evacuations on a regular basis and other safety procedures as required by law and by Camphill Devon
3.8 Ensure person-centred, robust and effective risk assessments are in place to mitigate risk associated with people interaction, activities and the environment. Follow standard Risk Assessment procedures, and seeking advice as required
3.9 Operate effectively and efficiently within the policies and procedures of Camphill Devon
3.10 Actively support the activities which Camphill Devon celebrates by helping to organise events and festivals, and involve people as they choose
3.11 Ensure appropriate retention activities to minimise staff turnover, and carry out agreed recruitment activities where necessary
4. Administration and Financial Record-Keeping
4.1 Administer the household budgets within the limits agreed and accurately keeping the necessary records of expenditure
4.2 Produce reports to the ODM and CEO outlining performance against agreed objectives, and illustrating key events, challenges and successes.
4.3 Ensure adequate supplies of food, toiletries, cleaning materials and other daily necessities as required, complying with the guidelines set by Camphill Devon
4.4 Ensure that people are assisted, as appropriate, with the administration of their personal finances
4.5 Maintain all necessary documentation accurately and in a timely manner, including daily house records, individual’s files, medication administration records, incident reports, etc.
5.1 To undertake training as required by legislation, job role and Camphill Devon
5.2 Identify the training needs of staff and volunteers and ensure that these needs are met in accordance with the Care Certificate requirements and individuals’ specific requirements
5.3 Ensure staff and volunteers receive Care Certificate training as required
5.4 To keep yourself updated on social care developments and best practice
6. Other Duties
6.1 To undertake any other reasonable duties appropriate to the role of Residential Services Manager and member of the Management Team
Camphill Devon Community Ltd
Learning disabilities, Managerial, Supported living
Camphill Devon Community Camphill Devon Community Ltd
Type of organisationCharity
Camphill Devon Community is a charitable organisation that provides Residential, Supported Living and Day Services support to adults with learning disabilities. It is a small community set in a stunning rural surroundings to the north of Buckfastleigh at Hapstead Village. Residential houses are grouped round a central admin building and workshops on site giving it a real village feel.
We offer registered residential accommodation at Hapstead Village in a beautiful setting on the edge of the Dartmoor National Park. Supported living is also provided in the Teignbridge and South Hams area of Devon.
At Hapstead people live in six houses, which provide a stimulating home environment. Through our person centred approaches everyone is encouraged to live an active and fulfilling life. Our aim is to support people to achieve the lifestyle they want to have, benefiting from a sense of community where people can support and be supported by others.
As well as supporting people at Hapstead, Camphill Devon also supports people who have their own tenancies in the local area.
Camphill Devon is a registered charity and is independent from any other organisation with our own governing body. We are a member of the Association of Camphill Communities and are part of the worldwide Camphill movement. The movement was founded in 1940 when Dr Karl Koenig and his co-founders developed a mutually-supportive model for community life based on the principles of the late Dr Rudolf Steiner.
In common with other Camphill Communities we support people in all aspects of their life including the spiritual and emotional as well as the physical health of each individual; and in providing a community life where individual needs are mutually respected.